There is no better place to learn and remember more about the service of comrades and veterans than at one of the many memorials, military museums, and other historical locations in the United States. AARP has developed comprehensive guides to 10 key locations from Pearl Harbor to Boston.
These sites offer visitors thoughtful, moving portrayals of the sacrifices veterans have made throughout American history. Make sure to take a look before planning your next trip to any of these great travel destinations.
- The National World War II Museum in New Orleans: Learn about the triumphs and tragedies of World War II, from the attack on Pearl Harbor to victories in Europe and Japan, at this sprawling (and expanding) Big Easy Museum.
- Hawaii’s Pearl Harbor National Memorial: See the location of the history-changing attack of December 7, 1941 that killed 1,177 Sailors and Marines and led the United States into World War II.
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial in Kansas City: Think about the triumphs and many tragedies of World War I at this must-see, moving Midwestern museum.
- Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum in Charleston: In Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, across from the port of Charleston, step aboard the giant aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, which was involved in more than 40 battles during World War II.
- Civil War Heroes on Boston’s Black Heritage Trail: The bronze Robert Gould Shaw and Massachusetts 54th Regiment Civil War Memorial honoring African American soldiers is a moving stop in a city steeped in history.
- Vicksburg National Military Park: Delve deep into the Civil War in this vast Mississippi location, where major battles helped change the course of America’s deadliest struggle.
- Gettysburg National Military Park: Follow the AARP guide to the famous Pennsylvania battlefields, where a great Union triumph changed the course of the Civil War.
- Philadelphia’s Museum of the American Revolution: Learn how the Colonists reached a breaking point, fought for independence, and won the battle in one of Philly’s top travel destinations.
- The San Diego Air & Space Museum is a destination for aviation enthusiasts: See how American warplanes went from motorized kites to supercharged Rolls-Royce-powered bombers at this Smithsonian-affiliated gem in beautiful Balboa Park, California.
- Explore the history of the Revolutionary War in charming Castine, Maine: Explore the historic sites of this charming New England village that dates back to pre-revolutionary America and the Civil War.
Bookmark this for the latest news and information pertaining to older veterans Veterans, Military and Their Families page on AARP.org.